Fall is upon us, and we’ve got some great home maintenance tips for you and your family.
1. It’s time to regularly clean your gutters and downspouts. Make sure all drainage areas are unblocked by leaves and debris. I would consider installing gutter gaurs to make the job a lot easier.
2. Use a screwdriver to probe the wood trim around windows, doors, railing and decks. Use caulk to fill the holes or completely replace the wood.
3. To prevent exterior water pipes from bursting when the weather gets below freezing, turn off the valves to the exterior hose bibs. Run the water until the pipes are empty.
4. Have your wood-burning fireplace inspected, cleaned and repaired to prevent chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
5. Wrap water pipes that run along exterior wall with heating tape. It will save energy and prevent them from freezing.
6. Clean and replace filters in your furnace or heating system. Contact a licensed heating contractor to inspect and service your HVAC system.
7. Even though your grass may not be growing in the fall, it’s roots are still active. Fertilizing in the fall promotes deep, healthy root growth before the grass goes dormant for the winter.
8. Clean your outdoor furniture and get it out of the elements.
9. Reverse the ceiling fan direction. Switch from a counter-clockwise rotation, which you use in the summer to create a breeze, to clockwise, which pushes the warm air near the ceiling downward to the living space.
10. Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Also make sure you have a functioning fire extinguisher.
These tips can help keep your home in top shape, so you will be ready if or when it’s time to sell. Give Century 21 Scheetz a call today at 317-919-8504.